||Castiglion del Bosco gains a world class spa facility with the opening of the Daniela Steiner Care Suite Spa.
||Castiglion del Bosco inaugurates its first nine guest Villas, and
Il Borgo is unveiled after painstaking restorations, offering 23 elegantly appointed guest Suites as well as a cooking school, two restaurants, a fitness center, a tasting room, an infinity pool, and other distinctive amenities within its historic buildings.
||UNESCO adds Val d'Orcia to its list of World Heritage Sites.
||Massimo Ferragamo purchases the Estate and begins restoration
||The Val d'Orcia Artistic, Natural and Cultural Park is founded. The Park, which encompasses the
Castiglion del Bosco property, is an Area Naturale Protetta di Interesse Locale focused on increasing awareness
of cultural and environmental heritage, as well as manufacturing and marketing of local products.
||According to the Consorzio del Vino Brunello di Montalcino, 120 producers made 300,000 cases of wine in 1995. Today, there are well over 200 producers in the Consorzio producing more than 500,000 cases of Brunello.
||The number of Brunello di Montalcino producers increases to 25 vintners producing approximately 70,000 cases.
||The Val d'Orcia is considered a site of ‘outstanding universal value’ by the World Heritage Committee
according to Article 1 of the 1972 World Heritage Convention, making Castiglion del Bosco a World Heritage Site.
|| Castiglion del Bosco becomes one of the founding members of the Consorzio del Vino Brunello di Montalcino. The organization is created as a voluntary association of producers who regulate and control the quality of Brunello production. Brunello is among the first Italian wines to be granted the titles DOC (Controlled Denomination of Origin) and DOCG (Controlled and Guaranteed Denomination of Origin).
||There are only a handful of Brunello di Montalcino wine producers.
||Ferruccio Biondi Santi, who is said to have resided on the Castiglion del Bosco Estate, concentrates on an isolated Sangiovese clone to produce the first bottles of what will become Tuscany’s most prestigious red wine denomination, Brunello di Montalcino.
||Pietro Lorenzetti paints the fresco "Annunciazione dei Santi" in the Church of San Michele in Castiglion del Bosco's Il Borgo. It was rediscovered in 1876 and fully restored to its original glory. Pietro and his brother, Ambrogio Lorenzetti, who painted the Allegory of Good Government and Bad Government fresco in the Palazzo Pubblico in Siena, belonged to the famous Sienese School which flourished during the late Middle Ages and foreshadowed the art of the Renaissance.
||Upon Ciampolo Gallerani's death, ownership of Castiglion del Bosco passes to the Piccolomini family, who conquered the castle after a long and bloody siege. During this period, the fortification was restored.
||Castiglion del Bosco Bosco is taken over by the Gallerani family – prosperous merchants who held public offices in Siena. It has been claimed that Cecilia Gallerani, was the subject of Leonardo da Vinci's painting "The Lady with an Ermine" and a muse for the "Mona Lisa."
||Badia Ardenga, a handsome abbey located near the Fiume Ombrone, is visited by emperors and popes traveling along the ancient Via Franciegena route. Built before 1000 AD, the original formation is still intact today. According to legend, German Emperor Henry VII of Luxembourg and his army went to the abbey to take communion during their stop in Buonconvento in 1313. Allegedly, the monks poisoned the Eucharist and the emperor was found dead in the church.
||Castiglion del Bosco holds a prominent position in the Sienese Republic, paying the highest property tax of all the estates.
||Castiglion del Bosco's Castello is built in classic medieval style; its form is similar to that of Rocca of Tentennano, located not far from the Estate. In the early 13th century, the family of Cacciaconti of Trequanda surrounded the hilltop bastion with stone walls. Still standing today are remnants of the walled enclosure, a gate and the partially destroyed Castello.
||The Via Francigena, leading from Canterbury to Rome, is established, and used for centuries by thousands of pilgrims. The road passed through Castiglion del Bosco where pilgrims would shelter in the Pieve San Michele.
||Archeological digs confirm that the Etruscans occupied Castiglion del Bosco as far back as 600 BC – prizing its elevated position as a military outlook.